Festive fall family recipes
Curated by: Hanna Carver
1 package puff pastry sheets, thawed, each cut into half or thirds
3 apples, cored, halved, and sliced very thin
2/3 c. brown sugar
1 pinch salt
Powdered sugar, caramel sauce, and/or whipped cream, for serving, optional
What to do:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the puff pastry rectangles onto two baking pans that have been sprayed with nonstick spray.
- Add sugar and salt to apples. Stir to combine. Allow to sit for a few minutes.
- Arrange apple slices on the pastry rectangles in a straight line, overlapping as you go.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until the pastry is puffed and golden brown.
- Remove from the pan immediately and place on a serving platter.
- Serve plain, with caramel topping, whipped cream, and/or a sprinkling of powdered sugar.
Pumpkin Spice Cereal Treats:
1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) salted butter, plus more for the pan
3 10-ounce bags of marshmallows
18 c. crispy rice cereal
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp. yellow food coloring
1/4 tsp. red food coloring
What to do:
Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking pan and line with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang.
Melt 1/2 stick butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add 1 bag of marshmallows and cook, stirring, until melted. Remove from the heat and stir in 6 cups of cereal until combined.
Press the mixture into the prepared pan and set aside.
Melt the remaining 1 stick butter in a clean pot over medium heat.
Add the remaining 2 bags of marshmallows and cook, stirring, until melted. Stir in the pumpkin pie spice and food coloring until blended.
Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining 12 cups of cereal. Firmly press the orange mixture on top of the plain mixture in the pan.
Let cool completely. Use the parchment overhang to lift the treats out of the pan. Cut into squares.